This convention has the following objectives:
- to engage a broad community of development and content conversion actors in the articulation and open externalization of knowledge as content commons;
- to establish low hurdle agreements among cooperating parties so as to achieve a rapid and sustainable dissemination of efficient media-use practices;
- to encourage an inclusive discourse about livelihood concerns, among local communities in their local languages;
- to promote specific instruments and business models for local knowledge economies.
For the content commons, these objectives must imply the following:
- the cumulative articulation and global visibility of knowledge that is in the public domain, including in local languages;
- an improved provision of local services for knowledge conversion, globally;
- the accelerated provision of services to localize knowledge as part of sustainable livelihood initiatives by smallholders.